Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Online Lesson 12

Step 2: The common theme present among the scrolls inside each of the caskets is the greed in the person who chose it. For the golden casket, the scroll in it explains that the person who chose it was greedy for money as many men had sold their souls just to get the gold. This is similar to Prince Morocco, as he prefers money and wealth of Portia rather than Portia herself. For the silver casket, it explains that the person who chose it had a little greed of money, as the men who chose it was fools that could only get shadows of joy. This is similar to Prince Arragon as he thought he had made the wisdom choice by picking the silver casket, and get what he deserves. However, he flavours money and rewards than Portia. Lastly, the lead casket’s scroll explains that the person who chose it does not greed for money. This is similar to Bassanio, as he truly loved Portia, and not her wealth or money. Thus, he was not greedy for money and picked the right choice.

Step 3: My parents had divorced. Upon hearing the news, I was devastated. I thought they were a loving couple, but now, it’s all too late. Being the only child of the family, my parents had been arguing and even sued each other on court over the custody of me. The judge had made the decision: It all lies up to the child. I was stumbled. Who should I go with? Should I go with my father to the America, or my mother that stays in Singapore? I had been pondering this decision all this while when my friend suggested me to use logic.

“How am I going to use logic to this complicated question?” I asked. My friend replied calmly,” You need to ask yourself, out of your mother and your father, who would you choose that you think will treat you better? You wouldn’t want to live with one that makes your life hell, that’s common sense. Secondly, out of the 2, who do you think is capable of giving you a better life? Do you feel comfortable with him? What about the surroundings? Do you want to migrate to America, or stay in Singapore with your friends?”

I was appalled by how my friend had broken down my chain of thoughts. I pondered over the questions that my friend brought up. Originally, I had wanted to live with my father. He had the capability to treat me well, or even better, as he was rich. I had also wanted to taste a different culture, and living in a different country, America. But after considering, I had decided to live with my mother instead. My mother was more caring and showered me with lots of love, and that’s the warmth that I have been seeking for. My father had just bought my favourite stuff, but no love was shown. I also could not bear to leave my friends here in Singapore, and I must admit the education system in Singapore was good too. At last, I went to my mother side. God bless me, all will be well.

1 comment:

  1. I feel that it is a well written story. It really went in-depth into the thoughts of the author. However, i feel that maybe instead of the friend asking him questions, the author himself could have seen a series of events- and learnt some lessons or implications from it. All in all, good job! :)

    ReplyDelete